Pololu Jrk G2 21v3 USB Motor Controller with Feedback (Connectors Soldered)
With integrated support for analog voltage or tachometer (frequency) feedback, the second-generation G2 family of Jrk motor controllers makes it easy to add closed-loop control of speed or position (but not both!) of a single brushed DC motor to a variety of projects. This versatile, general-purpose module support five different control interfaces: USB for direct connection to a computer, TTL serial and I²C for use with a microcontroller, RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system, and analog voltages for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick. It also offers many settings that can be configured using Pololu's free configuration software utility for Windows, Linux, and macOS. This software simplifies initial setup of the device and allows for in-system testing and monitoring of the controller via USB (a micro-B USB cable is required to connect the Jrk G2 to a computer).
This version offers a 4.5 V to 28 V operating range and can deliver continuous output currents up to 2.6 A (5 A peak) without a heat sink. This version ships with soldered header pins and terminal blocks.
Main features of the Jrk G2 family
- Easy open-loop or closed-loop control of one brushed DC motor
A variety of control interfaces:
- USB for direct connection to a computer
- TTL serial operating at 5 V for use with a microcontroller
- I²C for use with a microcontroller
- RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system
- Analog voltage for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick
- Analog voltage (0 V to 5 V), for making a closed-loop servo system
- Frequency, for closed-loop speed control using pulse counting (for higher-frequency feedback) or pulse timing (for lower-frequency feedback)
- None, for open-loop speed control
- Note: the Jrk does not support using quadrature encoders for position control
- Ultrasonic 20 kHz PWM for quieter operation (can be configured to use 5 kHz instead)
- Simple configuration and calibration over USB with free configuration software utility (for Windows, Linux, and macOS)
Configurable parameters include:
- PID period and PID coefficients (feedback tuning parameters)
- Maximum current
- Maximum duty cycle
- Maximum acceleration and deceleration
- Error response
- Input calibration (learning) for analog and RC control
- Optional CRC error detection eliminates communication errors caused by noise or software faults
- Reversed-power protection
- Field-upgradeable firmware
- Optional feedback potentiometer disconnect detection
- Arduino library makes it easy to get started using these controllers with an Arduino or compatible board
- Comprehensive user’s guide
The Jrk G2 21v3 operates from 4.5 V to 28 V and can deliver a continuous output current of 2.6 A (5 A peak) without a heat sink. The controller supports transient operation (< 500 ms) up to 40 V, and the maximum recommended nominal battery voltage is 24 V. This version is sold with connectors soldered, so no soldering is necessary to use it.
USB; non-inverted TTL serial; I²C;
RC servo pulses; analog voltage
|Minimum operating voltage:||4.5 V1|
|Maximum operating voltage:||28 V2|
|Continuous output current per channel:||2.6 A3|
|Maximum PWM frequency:||20 kHz|
|Version:||28 V max, 2.6 A max continuous|
Size: 3.05 x 2.54 x 1.19cm (1.2″ × 1.0″ × 0.47″ )
- Powering the Jrk G2 21v3 with a supply voltage between 4.5 V and 5.5 V might cause its logic voltage to be lower than normal, which could affect operation. See the user’s guide for more information.
- Transient operation (< 500 ms) up to 40 V.
- Typical results at room temperature running at 90% duty cycle with VIN > 8 V. Operation from 4.5 V to 8 V reduces maximum current output.
The Jrk G2 controllers are not drop-in replacements for the original Jrk controllers because of differences in their form factors and pin arrangements, although wiring changes should be straightforward. The Jrk G2 serial protocol is compatible with (and generally a superset of) the original Jrk serial protocol, so in many cases, serial interface software running on a microcontroller or computer will not need to be modified to work with a Jrk G2
Jrk G2 21v3 USB Motor Controller with Feedback (Connectors Soldered)
- Manufacturer: Pololu
- Product Code: JRK G2 21V3
- Availability: 4
- Ex Tax: £31.00